Sunday 24 August 2014

First Week of Work

The first week of work was hard work but so much fun at the same time and now finally have some time to reflect on whats happened. This is also following the week of preparation before the students arrived which was on Sunday of which a Parents meeting was held. With everything that has been going on at work we have played so much sports including Chairball and Touch Rugby with staff and students, so it is very much like a small friendly community and it is very easy to be involved with everything thats been going on. Of course this is including some cheeky beers on porches which is all very nice too. I am not pretending to lead an all round active and healthy lifestyle but we do have some solid session on the Leo beers here too. 
There is also something that I have not fully revealed yet because it has been so busy as I have been trying to adjust to a working in a new environment, a new role as well as a new life. When I first heard that I was moving to Thailand I knew I would be working with the Outdoors Coordinator Tony with The Big Mountain Outdoor Education Centre as a part time assistant to help with the activities as a part time role. This would normally involve rock climbing, kayaking, arts and crafts, conservation work and so on.
Now I have a new opportunity to be the next Primary Art teacher replacing Mr Luciano who will be leaving in October of which I will need to learn how to teach his 3 lessons a week to the Kindergartens, Year 1-2's and Year 3-4's. So far I have been helping Mr Luciano with planning, observing and helping him in his classes which has gone well so far and the children seem to like all the projects we set for them involving the subjects following the curriculum. 
Everyone in the Primary team are all helping me including the Secondary school teachers. I am using every chance I get to observe everyones lessons so I know how I can apply this to the primary art classes. As it is a small school I am starting to know some of the students and their abilities. 

This week I have been going out for a 6am runs with Nicole the Primary teacher for Year 1-2, she is a keen runner and very motivated to run pretty much every morning. I have managed Tues, Weds and Thurs. Not only a lovely new friend she is also trying to help me to adjust with Thailand in general and with the school. Everyone's advice on teaching has all been very valuable and I just trying to do too many new things all at once. Not only teaching I am also trying to learn the language and to cook Thai food with all thats available to us. All very overwhelming but great fun at the same time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment